Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Frost Warning

Last night's weather report warned that we were under a frost advisory from 3 am to 9 am today (May 19). My Dad, who gardened in this area for half a century, always said that May 10 was the safe date for planting frost-tender plants. Our Master Gardener organization says the safe date is May 15. I started planting tender annuals last week so the news that we might have a frost this late in the season was worrysome.







I wasn't worried about my perennial plants, such as those shown along my side walk. The blue plants blooming in this picture are some that I grew from seed our first year here (11 years ago). Unfortunately, I don't remember what they are. They bloom reliably each May, but only bloom once.





I was worried about tender plants in the ground as well as in pots. Last week I purchased three of these begonia plants to hang from my porch and would have hated to lose them, but they came through fine.




I just planted this pot over the weekend. It has impatiens plants and an astilbe which was given to me by a friend. I don't know what color the astilbe is and hope it doesn't end up clashing with the impatiens.






I love the pot trellis shown in the foreground of this picture. It came from the Southern States store. In it is a red mandevilla purchased at the grocery store. In the background can be seen the hanging tomato planter Clliff bought me. The tomato plant (Parks Whopper) also looks just fine.









This pot, also recently planted, contains red and yellow superbells, blue lobelia, and "Lemon Symphony" daisies (Osteospermum hybrid), a "Proven Winners" plant.


I actually started this blog entry on Tuesday May 19, but didn't finish it. Today is thurs May 21. I don't know how to change the date once the draft has been saved.


Happy Memorial Day weekend to all.


Joanie

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love the pictures, I live in a small apartment and have very little planting area (see my blog) so I love to see how others make their place in the world bloom!

nanny said...

Beautiful pictures,,,,I want one of those pot trellis...wish I could find one.....