Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A prayer for the animals



Yesterday my sister had to put down her sweet cat, Zoe, a stray she took in four years ago. The cat had health problems and my sister made sure Zoe got the best of care, but finally Zoe was in such pain that there was no other choice. My sister was heartbroken, and I fully understand because last November we had to put down our 19-yr old cat, Amos, whom we'd adopted at the age of 15. When I took this picture of Amos, I had no idea that he would only be with us for two more months. Anyone who has had to deal with the loss of a beloved pet understands the depths of the grief this brings. I found this prayer online and it gave me tremendous comfort in dealing with the loss of our dear Amos. I sent it to my sister and hope she finds some comfort also.








A Prayer for Animals


By Albert Schweitzer


Hear our humble prayer, O God,
for our friends the animals,

especially for animals who are suffering;

for any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened or hungry;

for all that must be put to sleep.

We entreat for them all

Thy mercy and pity,

and for those who deal with them

we ask a heart of compassion

and gentle hands and kindly words.

Make us be true friends to animals

and so to share

the blessings of the merciful.




In loving memory of Amos and Zoe.

Joanie

No comments: