Sunday, August 31, 2008

Prayers for those in hurricane's path


"Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
And miss it each night and day
I know I'm not wrong... this feeling's gettin' stronger
The longer, I stay away. . . ."

As I watch the news coverage this evening about the approach of Hurricane Gustav toward Louisiana, and the evacuation of much of New Orleans, the words to this old song by Eddie DeLange and Loise Alter keep running through my mind. I cannot imagine what it must be like to evacuate one's home and hometown, not knowing if it would ever be possible to return. (Photo courtesy New Orleans Chamber of Commerce.)

It is encouraging that there has been advance planning this time, and that arrangements have been made for the evacuation of pets. I know that I, for one, would not be able to leave our cat behind.
Perhaps we should all think about what would be important to us if we had to leave our homes with no guarantee of return, and to plan for an emergency evacuation. What would you take?
Pray for all of those whose lives and homes are disrupted by such disasters.
Joanie

No comments: