Monday, January 5, 2009

The Cat

Last year when we were in Florida, we started looking at the website of the Humane Society back home for another cat. We had lost our old cat, Amos, in Nov 07 and after grieving were thinking about getting a new pet. The Humane Society had a photo of a kitten named "Trouble." He was only eight months old when his previous owner left him there to be adopted. When we returned home, we visited him at the shelter, and also looked at cats in other shelters, but something about this cat called out to us, and we decided that, despite his name, he would join our family. The above photo is from the Humane Society's website in Jan 08.



We decided not to rename him, despite recommendations from friends, so he continues to be called "Trouble." (He also goes by "Fatcat" and"Bratcat.") He has been an endless source of amusement and entertainment.




The little kitten we adopted has grown into a "big dude," to use the words of our Veterinarian. Trouble likes to sit on his perch that we bought him, and look at the birds and squirrels that visit our trees and our deck.



He is a big cat, especially from a rear view!


He plays hard, but then he falls asleep at a moment's notice. His favorite sleeping place is in the box Cliff's new shoes came in. It is a tight fit.







It is not a great idea to get a cat who is the same color as your kitchen floor, especially when he likes to lie near wherever you are working.


He prefers scratching on furniture, but likes to lie on his scratching pad.


My son is taking care of "Trouble" while we are in Florida. We can't bring the cat with us because the Autotrain doesn't permit animals. We miss our dear pet very much.


Pets enrich our lives in so many ways. I know we would be poorer indeed without our feline companion.


To all pet lovers in "blogland." Joanie

















4 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi! I found your blog from Susan's (Between Naps on the Porch) and I'm so glad I did! I laughed out loud at the picture of Trouble in the shoe box. I have 4 wonderful fur babies...3 of which were strays literally picked up off the street. Your Trouble reminds me of my Baby Kitty who is the biggest of mine by far! I enjoyed your post!...Debbie

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Joanie,
Trouble is adorable!!! I love the shoebox pic...that is JUST like what my cats have always done...the tighter the fit, the more they love it! :-) They do bring sooooo much to our lives. Thanks for sharing Trouble.
Susan

Kat said...

Hello, I found your blog from Susan's also. What an adorable kitty. The shoe box photo is precious! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for adopting a shelter cat. I work for a vet and see so many unwanted babies. It is so heartwarming to see one who has found a forever home! Kathy

One Shabby Old House said...

That is so funny about the cat in the shoe box.
Enjoy your Trouble...sounds a bit strange doesn't it. lol
Becky