Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blue Ribbon Flower Arrangements

Today was another garden club meeting. Although we are a relatively small group, I am always amazed to see the arrangements our talented members create. Today's theme was "Bombs Bursting in Air" and the design form was to be "Abstract creative." Members may enter in the theme category or may enter a "general" arrangement -- which means the arrangement is up to the person who creates it. We had so many attractive entries. Here are a sampling: The following arrangement won first prize ("blue"), and deservedly so:
Here's a gorgeous "general" arrangement:


And believe it or not, the following "general" arrangement got a blue ribbon. It is mine and I threw it together from plant materials in my garden this morning. It seems that when I carefully plan and design an arrangement, I don't get a first place, but when I assemble something on short notice it often wins a "blue." Of course I'm happy to receive the rating, but honestly don't see what the judges found so "original" and "terrific."
Here's another view of the arrangement. Go figure.
I admit that the colors of the arrangement were more vivid than these pictures show. The blue flowers (Eryngium) were an intense, steely blue, and the heuchera floral spires were a burgundy that matched the stamens in the upper lily. Still, I think the lessons to be learned from this are (1) beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, and (2) be happy for life's unexpected gifts!


Joanie

No comments: