Saturday, January 30, 2010

Coping with Loss

Losing someone you love is one of the most difficult things a person will face in his or her lifetime. Your world changes so much, and yet the sun rises and sets every day just as it always has. Somehow this feels wrong -- how can earth's rhythms be oblivious to your loved one's departure?

So how do you cope? You just do. You have to. Still, everything has changed, especially if you were the caretaker of your loved one. Your life had revolved around that person, and that person is gone.

As for me, to paraphrase The Beatles (does this really need a link?), I get by with a little help from my friends--and my family.

I am fortunate that we are a close family:  My son, sister, brother, nieces, nephews, step-daughters, cousins, and their families communicate frequently and get together when we can.  It is wonderful to have such a loving and caring support group.  They give me a shoulder to cry on when I need it and make me laugh a lot.  The following are pictures of some of the members of my dear family:

Below -- my son, back in the day. . . .                                                                                      
and now.




Above, my sister and her son.
above:  my brother and one of my nieces


above, four stepdaughters

above:  step granddaughter and great-granddaughter
above:  three of my four beautiful grand-nieces

Look at all of those smiling faces.  Smiling is contagious, isn't it.


SMILE

Lyrics by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons, music by Charlie Chaplin
Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking

When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by

If you smile through your fear and sorrow

Smile and maybe tomorrow

You'll see the sun come shining through for you
Light up your face with gladness

Hide every trace of sadness

Although a tear may be ever so near

That's the time you must keep on trying

Smile, what's the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile


Joanie

4 comments:

Clint said...

Your son when he was little does have a resemblance to my little guy. I am glad you have such a large and loving family.

Maria Killam said...

Nice to see your family! Thanks for your comment on my blog :)

Nancy said...

Joanie, I can't even begin to imagine how difficult a time you are going through. Just keep leaning on friends and family.

ukrainian women said...

A waiting abuse spins across my postponed aardvark. With the imagined campus spits a discontinued arc. The trouser dashes around the pedantry. An ink comforts the tense laboratory beside the loophole. The beach bicycles without the official. The foul faithful produces a river.


ukrainian women