Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11th

Where were you on Sept 11, 2001? I was here in my home. It was a sunny, cool, beautiful September morning. I had a train ticket from Fredericksburg, VA to Williamsburg, VA, where I was to meet my sister for a couple days shopping at the Pottery Factory. Williamsburg was "our place" -- where we traditionally got together as sisters, away from family demands, to spend a few days together and indulge in our love of shopping for bargains.

When it became clear that the U.S. was under attack, I left here and drove to Williamsburg to meet my sister, who was driving up from Florida. I could not bear the thought of my baby sister alone during this frightening time. Fearing to travel down the East Coast, I drove the back roads through the Shenandoah Valley. The whole memory of that time my sister and I spent together is surreal. I honestly don't remember much else about our time together -- where we shopped, where we ate, etc. I just remember being glued to the tv, radio, or newspaper, and being fearful.

I spent 31 years of my life working in the Pentagon, but had retired before 9-11-2001. In the aftermath of the 9-11 attacks, I often dreamed about being in the Pentagon in the weeks (and years) to follow. My most recent dream was last night.

After the 9-11 attacks on America, I bought the above license plate for my car. It is a reminder of the horror that was inflicted on our country on 9-11-2001. I will have had my car 13 years this coming December, and I have only 45,000 miles on it so far. I expect to drive it for at least another 55,000 miles. Will I live that long?

I still have my train ticket from Fredericksburg to Williamsburg on 9-11-2001.

Where were you on 9-11-2001?

No comments: